Friday, November 13, 2009

New Pieces, Beautiful Doors



Here are photos of a couple recent pieces not posted before. The first set of photos are of a small cabinet. The door is a leaded glass salvage piece, the brass window lock is very cool, and the fancy brass knob is from the locking mechanism I removed from a set of entry doors from an old SF Victorian, they were 10' tall!. The front feet are cast iron, from a stove I believe. Repurposed wood throughout. The second set of photos are of a small nightstand/table. I purchased an old(square nail const.) schoolhouse type desk at the Santa Cruz flea. The legs had been chopped off in the past. I had worked it into another piece but it just didn't work so I started over. Here I added some angled pieces of wood to the sides to make the top sit flat when closed. The detail shot of the cast iron inkwell holder shows a Star of David embellishment. Perhaps this desk is from Hebrew School? The cover was so crusted with old paint I had no idea this was here until I cleaned it off. Very Cool! The body was constructed with some very nice balusters and some old porch brackets I got from a friend in Conneticut. The front feet are actually some old brass doorknobs, really a fun piece. Finally, I have posted some photos of recently acquired salvage, some entry doors. These doors date to 1860, they came from a SF Victorian. I will post photos of what I make out of them soon.










































No comments: